Saturday, September 22, 2007

Into the Wild


Sean Penn has released his movie version of Into the Wild, a book I read a couple years ago. I want to see the movie. I loved the Jon Krakauer book. Reading Jon Krakauer's piecing-together of Christopher McCandless' life gave me inspiration. Here was a young man, highly educated, who decides ( for totally mysterious reasons ) to drop out of life, burn his money, hit the road and live off the land, spurning any material possessions. He also had an almost phobia for making any personal connections with the people he met. He was a loner, an American nomad.
Some of the diary entries found by Krakauer are really enlightening and a letter McCandless wrote to an old man really made me wonder if this young guy really found the meaning of "living".
Anyway, I never, ever go to the movies. I hate movie going, but I would like to see this movie, hoping Sean Penn adds to an already tragic/beautiful story about a young man who just wanted to live his own way...free.

G$

No comments: